Re: An outstanding campaign

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:51:54 -0000

Agreed, like Griffin Mountain some people feel Borderlands is a great place to start folk who do not have any knowledge of Glorantha. It gives you the abilty to have your players become big fish in a small pond! And of course, when you graduate to the big boys league there is the Rubble and New Pavis just up river. As pointed out by others Ian Thompson, a great champion for Glorantha, has done much of the conversions in his latest book.

Personaly I believe no knowledge is required to play anywhere in Glorantha; just don't try and explain the whole cosmology. Most Gloranthans don't have that kind of knowledge and it is a sure way to turn off new players.

I would actually recommend the Sartar Rising books.

They have a fantastic escalation arc, and are broadly compatible with the sample scenario's in the Heroquest book, all of which are excellent scenario's IMO. The great thing about the sartar rising arc that was present in my game was that people avoided killing folks, and instead dealt with the consequences. This is because kinstife is bad hoodoo, and no one wants to be the person that starts blood feuds or bankcrupts their clan with weregeld!

So, start by cattle raids, looking for sheep, and other mundane escapades and ultimately move on to truly epic adventures like helping return a planet to the skies that hasn't been see in hundreds of years and raise a dragon to eat an army and free your homeland! Why would you look elsewhere for adventure?

Regards
Rob