Re: Cycles

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:39:40 -0000

> Even the split between patriarchal and matriarchal clans is overly
> simplistic.

I completely agree, I wanted to just point out that this varies on a clan by clan basis. Which gives us roleplaying opportunities - after all if a storyline requires sexism we can always introduce a sexist clan to our game world. Which does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that the players characters have to come from such a clan if they do not want to because we do not have to assume that this is commonplace.

If anyone wants to do a more detailed breakdown I suspect the digest is the place for it.

> >I do not see how sexism would last on an overt level - few would
> >marry into a clan that treated the lesser sex (whichever it was)
> >too badly and the clan would die out.
>
> Assuming a completely free choice, possibly. However most clans
> have only a limited choice of other clans for marriage partners.
> Maybe four or five within easy travelling distance and they will
> have feuds with some. You could easily have a choice between
> marrying into a sexist clan or spending years and much cattle to
> resolve a feud with a less sexist one. After all there are
> Yelmalian clans, they haven't died out and you can't get much
> more sexist than that by Heortling standards.

Do the Yelmalians still intermarry with their historical neighbours? They have relocated, changed religion and are not really the same clans as they were 100 years before. I would have thought they would be reluctant to take on stroppy Heortling wives who don't know their place anyway.

--
Nic