RE: Re: Digest Number 277

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:48:41 -0000

> So look at the cost another way: most of the books cost between two
> and three times what a paperback novel costs, and less than a hard
> back novel. You know what? If you enjoy the world of Glorantha,
> these books make a pretty good read, and generally rewards re-reading
> multiple times. So in sheer reading value these books are a decent
> deal, before you even look at the gaming value.

Well, an issue here is: who is buying the books? The fact of the matter - IME anyway - is that RPG books are bought by the GM. GM's, I suspect, are a weird bunch who enjoy reading fictional encyclopedias. I certainly read and buy a great deal more RPG material than I ever use.

Players, OTOH, rarely by books (again IME). Most GM's are going to by more material than they need/use already, and the players are probably not going to buy much/anything. So for every 5-6 people playing ing in Glorantha, only 1 will purchase product.

In this respect producing culture books to be purchased by players always makes sense to me - 'clan books' etc, although sometimes a rip-off, are more popular players than whole rulebooks.