Re: An outstanding campaign

From: Vladimir de Saint André <v_saintandre_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:13:23 +0100

Roderick and Ellen Robertson a �crit :

> This is a pretty standard complaint among GMs :-).

I know...

> Take some of the time you spend planning, and use it to retell the last
> day's adventure, then publish it (on the web, in a "Campaign newsletter",
> whatever) for your group.

I am sure it would work but it would result in more work for me, as I normally spend about 2 hours before each sessions (all of them about 3 hours...). If I publish anything, the typing and formatting will make me spend more time on preparation than actual game. Yet I am sure it is very efficient. I would rather have a player do it and reward him for doing so. I enjoy reading players notes.

> Perhaps a throw-away line from the adventure will prompt a new avenue
> of adventure (it's certain to
> have done so among your players - a quick mention of "Oh yeah, the
> ogre king died 100 years ago up in the hills" means that they'll want
> to investigate his cast;e/lair, insteda of continue on the course
> you've been working on
> for the past three months...

I am extremely flexible with the line I had prepared. I want to be surprised as well by the way it goes (and I usually am, often beyond my expectations ;)). I actually do essentially work on the ambiance and the NPCs, the rest usually comes as the game goes.

> Start each night's play with a quick recap of what's just gone on - a
> quick
> reminder for the slow of thinking among the players.

I always do this. It is indispensable (and a gives a good idea of good/bad went the last play)!

> A technique to use is to end each night's play with a cliff-hanger.

It is very true. Now, with 3-hour plays (we are all working and some have kids), it is hard to plot such a situation each night. Now, thinking of it, I should try harder because it would greatly help!

> HeroQuest lends itself to making the players do a lot of the work.

Good news!

> In the end, realize that you're up against the Internet, Video games,
> movies
> and TV for your player's "Playing time".

And also against angry wifes, jealous husbands, sick kids, professional travels... At least we drink a bit during the play so I can hook the alcoholics!

Thanks a lot for your detailed and useful advice!

Vlad

Nouveau : t�l�phonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! D�couvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international. T�l�chargez sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com