Re: Mykka

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:08:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Rob,

        I can sympathise with your desire not to inflict awfulness on what is meant to be a going-away present to Josh. Good point, there.

        So, you need a body, but don't want an icky source. Some good ideas have been mooted, but I'll toss in another idea for extra variety. There's undoubtedly somebody in the clan who's due to give birth. Start forecasting omens, and make it clear that she needs to give birth at Madman's Table. Father should be present, too, I think.

        Mykka feels a sudden irresistible urge to return to Madman's Table - her Daddy and Mummy are coming to find her there. Make it on some mythically appropriate day - when Mykka was trapped, perhaps, or during Sacred Time, or Voria's Day, or on Aldrya's Day, whatever suits your fancy.

        Have the baby born, and Mykka's spirit enter it as the new home that she is meant to have. Make it clear that this is a true rebirth, not the possession of an innocent. Include having to defend her from the ghosts also hungry for a body to inhabit.

        If you want to bring in the Black Oak Clan in a better light, you could make her new mother a member. As they are members of the same tribe, you do share the same ancestors if you go far enough back. If so, I'd include some handwaving about why your heroband is allowed to guard her during the birthing. The Ancestors common to both clans wish it, perhaps?

        Then you can have Mykka magically age. Sacred Time, when all things are somewhat out of time, would appeal to me most for that, but if you have a timeline already in place, I'm sure you can adjust. Also, give her a proper name to ground her to her new body. Mykka was just a nickname, and should be replaced as a sign of her maturity.

        Send Josh off with the glowing feeling that he has married his love, brought peace to both clan lands, and done heroic deeds. The truce can quickly break down over the next big cattle raid, so not to worry about losing the Black Oaks as handy local antagonists. OK, that's the cynical side again, but that's for later, anyway.

        Hope these ideas suit better.

Alison

Do You Yahoo!?