RE: To rise against the moon & buying stuff & Thunder Rebels

From: T. Kurt Bond <tkb_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:02:42 -0500 (EST)

KYER, JEFFREY writes:
> "Meints, Richard (R.J.)" wrote:
> > If you have too much Sharpe and "over the hills and far away" on
> > your brain, may I suggest going to Nick Brooke's website and
> > finding my gloranthan lyrics for the song in his sing-along
> > section. I wrote them for Convulsion a number of years ago. Be
> > careful though, the song is brain candy.
>
> Argh. Now I can't get it out of my head. Make it stop.

I was resisting posting on this, but since you ask...

The Teletubbies introduction (sort of spoken, sort of sung) starts with "Over the hills and far away, Teletubbies come to play!"

Now, if the horrible cognitive dissonance of images from the song and Sharpe clashing in your mind with images of the Teletubbies ("Tinkie-Wikie, Dipsy, La-la, Po!") doesn't stop the song from running through your mind, your situation may be hopeless. Good luck.

As for _Thunder Rebels_, I got my copy yesterday, and while I haven't completely finished reading it, I have scanned through it thoroughly and followed the "I'm New Here: Where Do I Start?" instructions to hit all the absolute essentials, and so far I'm very impressed. It looks like Issaries has listened to criticisms of the earlier books and not made those mistakes, and has also improved on the things they were already doing well. The table of contents is detailed and useful. There are five (IIRC) indices, including a general index, and I've found them all to be useful aready. The typography and layout are clean and consitent, and make it easy to tell when what kind of information you're reading and when information is presented from an objective point of view and when it is presented from the Orlanthi point of view. The art is good and appropriate and often conveys very useful information in its own right. The writing is clear and interesting.

I'd say that _Thunder Rebels_ is definitely worth a look, even if you weren't satisfied with the earlier books, or if you aren't planning on using the Hero Wars rules. The majority of the book is non-rules material, and so should be useful to everybody.

Those who are primarily concerned with the Lunar aspects of things can also find, I think, some interesting information: what the Orlanthi think about the Lunars, their typical approach to fighting the different types of Lunar troops, etc.

--
T. Kurt Bond, tkb_at_...