Re: God's War vs. Pure Planes

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:27:00 -0800

> From: "Mike Dawson" mdawson_at_...

seeks clarification on

> Subject: God's War vs. Pure Planes

He quotes me:

>> What you descibe here is not so much as a HeroQuest as it is the sorcerous
>> method of making a new spell or grimoire, or meeting a new being. The
>> nature of  it is essentially different from a HeroQuest.

>> But the important thing here is that everything is Essential, and the >> conflict is of an absolutely different type than a HeroQuest.

Then Mike asks:
> "Essentially different" and "absolutely different". Ok, but in what way?

In that the Hero Wars are a place of mixture and change, whereas the God World,
Spirit Plane and Essence Planes are unchangable. The Hero Wars are occurances of interaction, the Otherworlds are Archetypes of Being.

> We understand that they're going to a different place, but the way
> they go there is very
> similar (travel to a different plane) and the ways they prepare would
> be very similar (solicit
> extraordinary support from others, use a place of power for the
> ceremony, long rituals of
> preparation, etc.) In fact, the first part of it is almost the same,
> since travel to the God's
> War "normally" involves starting off in your home otherworld then
> passing on to some Age.

These similarities stem from the place of Origin, the Everything World. You could say that taking a car ride to the mall and going to the moon are the same: you get dressed, get into a vehicle and do something when you are there. But of course, the moon is not the mall, and the Otherworld is not the Hero War
world.

> So, aside from the potential modifiers for being in an otherworld, in
> what ways are such
> actions essentially and absolutely different from heroquesting into
> the God's War?

I will repeat it: The Everything World is mixed, a place where the Otherworlds overlap in conflict and Coordination. The Otherworlds are unchanging and “pure.”

--Greg