Gods War/ Heros War, and Practice quest results

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 23:57:20 +0000 (GMT)

Picking one tiny bit of that rather large email... well, two tiny bits

> > But does this never happen
> > as a heroquest? That is, presumably there are
> stories of wizardry beings
> > that discovered magic in the God's War - there
> exist Wizardry Heroquests.
>
> Yes, which is why one goes to the Hero Wars to learn
> these things now.

I'm still struggling to fit this "Gods War" concept into the idea of the "heroplanes" - the word "god" in the name makes it seem like a purely theist idea, but I gather the whole point is that it's mixed?

Here you seem to be treating the phrases "Gods War" and "Hero Wars" interchangably? And from the look of the top of p192, the Gods War is what the rules generally refer to as the Hero Planes?

> > Hmm. I recall somebody saying recently that the
> theism rules said somewhere
> > that practice quests can produce something like
> "minor magical abilities."
>
> I am afraid that �recall somebody saying� is a weak
> reference point. Can you
> quote me a reference in the rules? Or to something
> that I said?

It was probably me quoting the rule book, a while back. Page 191, second column. "Other practice quests have specific benefits as their goal, such as an awakened animal familiar or a new magical ability."

It doesn't limit that statement to theism as far as I can see. It doesn't use the word "minor".

It does imply to me that if you want a new magical ability, or an awakened animal familiar, you may well be doing a Practice Quest.

Since the reward for anything is usually proportional to the power of the opposition, my guess would be that practice quests, being against Mortal World opponents, would normally give lesser results than those in the Hero Planes, where the opponents are likely to be gods, and on average, rather more powerful. But as far as I can see, this isn't stated in the rules.