All the Worlds...Which is Which???

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 04:26:04 -0800

> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
does a good job of explaining
> Subject: Re: All the Worlds...Which is Which???
to which I shall amend some notes

> The Middle World, The Physical World - where normal people live.
AKA what I tend to call the Everything World. i.e.- "the world is made of everything."

> The Hero Planes, the GodsWar - "History you can visit".
And/or Prehistory you can visit, or The Age of Myth.

> Past events are
> always taking place here. Most are from "Before Time", but some great events
> ripped the fabric of Glorantha and allow them to be "recreated" in the hero
> Plane - Castle Blue would be an example.

The First Battle of Chaos comes to mind. However, not all "earthshaking" events can be reched, however. The Apothesis of
the Red Goddess, for instance, can not, nor the Sunstop, nor Dragonkill.

> The edges of
> Glorantha fade into the heroplanes if you go far enough out.

Or perhaps, the edges are just superstrong, where it requires a couple of masteries to just exist. Also, some mythic realms overlap here, including the Gate of Sunset and Gate of Sunrise.

> Three Otherworlds are listed in the main book. They inflict the Alien world
> penalty (page 198). One major feature of the "Big Three" is that you cannot
> cross from one to another directly - to go from the Gods World to the Spirit
> World you *must* pass through some mixed world - the Middle world, the Hero
> Planes, the Underworld, etc. This is an immutable law of Glorantha (subject
> to "the Herowars are coming and all the rules are being broken")

Not even Kolat, who has a house in Orlanth's realm, can go directly from it to his realm in the S;pirit World.

> The Moon - source of "lunar magic" (see page 113, or ILH2 when it comes
> out). The magic is "Lunar" rather than mixed. Part of the moon is in the
> physical world, part is its own Otherworld.

It being similiar to other "edges of the world."

> The Underworld, Hell - Mixed magic, demons and trolls and things that go
> "bump" in the night live here. You can travel to it physically (fall down
> the Hellcrack, frex, or walk down certain stairways in various Obsidian
> Palaces, Castles of Lead, or Muse Ruse). Most humans put their "hell" down
> there.

Of course, they didn't really "put" it there, but rather found it there. Some theories say that it was the original world, out of which the other "real"
Otherworlds refined themselves. Or others say it is the original point of hte clash of worlds, whichis why it is so mixed.

> "Short worlds" are special, limited Otherworlds, and each is pretty unique
> to itself. The dream World is one such.

The Dream World MAY be part of the Everything World, however. It MAY be posible
to go from it to the Otherworlds.

But in Short World, you can NEVER go to any of the three Otherworlds.

The Chaos World is a theoretical world. Some things come out of it, and others seem to go into it, However, nothing ever comes back from it. Even a glimpse of
it fdrives all mortals mad. Most of the immortals can not even look into it-just
impossible. It is totally NOT them.

The Dragon World is another theoretical world, though nothing and no one has ever looked into it. It is where peopel presume the dragons go to and come from.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
2140 Shattuck Ave., PMB #2030