Re: Re: Fines for Aiding Chaos

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:30:19 GMT

In message <dsal3g+glfj_at_...> "Mark Galeotti" writes:
>wrote:
>>
>> I just reread this on page 84 of Thunder Rebels:
>>
>> "If propitiation or sacrifice be made to spirits of disease,
>> or to the mother of ills, or to the toothed Maw, whether ill
>> come of it or no, then five cows."
>>
>> But isn't propitiation of Malia one of the primary ways to *GET*
>> protection from disease spirits?
>
>Yes, but it's still 'illegal' under Heortling legal codes. Paying
>protection racketeers may also be the best way of getting them off
>your back, but that doesn't make it OK, either!

Probably because if an individual propitiates Malia they protect themselves but encourage the spread of disease in the community. Effectively they are taking life and health from others to protect themselves. Broo do that, but not law abiding societies. The fine is probably only for minor cases, I'm sure Uroxi apply their own penalties in serious cases. Humakt has his way of dealing with disease as well.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/