Clan turmoil and the Lunar occupation

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:18:25 -0000

Howdy all - this is a description of the sort of turmoil that is going on in many Heortling clans as a result the Lunar occupation. This little snippet dates from early 1617 and takes place amongst the Colymar - in particular the Orlmarthing clan.

       Darsten Turnstorm sought Kagradorl Kallaisson's[1] hospitality. He offered extremely generous gifts, saying that since he was close to his kinsmen Korlmhy Orlmarthing[2], Kagradorl could mediate the growing rift between Darsten and Korlmhy. He admitted that there had been harsh words between himself and Korlmhy, and feared that his daughter may have harmed their friendship.[3] He asked Kagradorl to mediate and repair that friendship.

       Kagradorl said he couldn't possibly succeed, so he declined as graciously as he could. Darsten feared that their respective supporters would eventually come to bloodshed. Such bloodshed would lead to kinstrife and all the chaos that kinstrife brings in its wake. Kagradorl said that he and Darsten should do what they could to prevent conflict. Darsten observed that Kagradorl could mediate friendship between the two kinsmen, but chose not to. Had Kagradorl honored his friendship with Darsten, any coming bloodshed would have been avoided and there would be peace instead of strife. He left, leaving a pile of gifts.[4]

       Kaylin and Kagradorl travelled to the ridge to let Korlmhy know about Darsten's visit. Kaylin obtained a vision of the horrible kinstrife that would result if we stayed.

       Several weeks later, riders informed the chief that solders had crossed the tula. Gordangar rallied his hall, and called the fyrd to his stead. Brenna sent Nightwing, who said there were many foreigners. Herger had the women hide as much wealth as they could, and mustered the Alynx Brotherhood at a run.[5] The scouts said that there were two centuries of Lunar soldiers headed towards the hill where we performed Orlanth ceremonies.

       We marched out. Half the soldiers peeled off to meet us, while the rest headed towards the hill or the local farms. Gordangar challenged them. The soldiers formed a shield wall, and the priests began sacrificing. Their leader told us back down, as they were here for provisions. They reminded us that the Firebull clan had refused, and their survivors were in the Slave Farm. Korlmhy told Gordangar to invoke the name of Kangharl to get them to stop. Erinina Copperaxe, one of the weaponthanes, said the Lunars were here solely because of Kormhy's quarrel with his father-in-law. There were more harsh words before Gordangar silenced her, saying it was not the place to fight against each other.

       Brenna rode like the wind on Sassy to inform the king. She was told that the king was conferring with the leader of the soldiers, and to speak with Darsten. Brenna asked for the tribe's help. Darsten said that the Lunars had discovered that the Orlmarthing clan had been worshipping Orlanth, which was forbidden. Leika herself had agreed to subject the Colymar to the law of the Lunars.[6]

       Objecting to Darsten's refusal to take responsibility, Brenna said that she had no time for words with a lackey of Bad King Urgrain. Darsten replied, "Watch yourself, horse bitch. My thunderstick can be thrown a long way, and your horse cannot run that fast. And you are no kin of mine."

       "I would be ashamed to have you as my kin."

       "I am glad you aren't my kin, for I would have to mourn you."

       Meanwhile, the soldiers pillaged and burned. Some went up the hill and desecrated the holy site of Orlanth. The Orlmarthing could only watch with impotent fury.

       Brenna returned with the news from Clearwine. Gordangar asked how many were there. Brenna thought that there were several hundred. Gordangar said that we should acknowledge our loss, and retreat to fight again as our ancestors did.

       We decided to call an emergency moot (only a few days early). The Hindalssons had suffered the most damage, and they were furious with Korlmhy. Others blamed Gordangar, pointing out that he had never visited Clearwine. Gordangar easily beat back a challenge to his chiefship. Then Korlmhy proposed taking his followers south to Hendrikiland. Gordangar argued against this, but the moot agreed. Korlmhy obtained extraordinary support from the clan. Some 50 folk from the Orlmarthing and other Colymar clans followed Korlmhy to the south.

[1] Kagradorl Kallaisson is the youngest son of King Kallai
Rockbuster of the Colymar and Queen Beneva Chan. He is the fosterbrother  of King Kangarl "Blackmoor" of the Colymar and a kinsman of Darsten Turnstorm.
[2] Korlmhy "Troublesome Poet" Orlgardsson is a prominent Orlanthi
holy man and brother of the powerful thane, Herger the Alynx.
[3] Korlmhy is married to Darsten's only daughter, Kera.
[4] Kagradorl has refused to accept the gifts and Darsten has
refused to take them back.
[5] The followers of Herger the Alynx.
[6] As a result of the surrender of the Sartarite rebels following
Starbrow's Rebellion.