Re: Newtlings

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:37:24 -0800 (PST)

        I go with the last case, David. The bachelors themselves don't know, as far as anyone knows, into which sex they will mature. Rather like trying to sex caterpillars. This being Glorantha, I believe that they truly are neuter until the change (spawn farr) comes on them.

        Likewise, Donald puts into words concepts that I had meant to spell out, but hadn't. A rather harsh attitude towards the younger generation makes it more likely that the best quality young will survive. Though I wouldn't say that returnees will get (or be) the best mates or breeding sites ipso facto. The stay-at-homes have toughed it out through all the jostling for these prime spots. They have also been getting the benefit of their parents' experience, much of it likely from when *they* were expat bachelors. There may be a definite prejudice towards inducting those newtlings into the local breeding scene just because they are known and familiar. Nepotism is a powerful force.

        We're also tinkering with the idea that sex change could occur more than once. That is, the bachelors are more likely to become male when they first sex. Then, as they mature even more, and gain in power and size, some males may change into females if they last long enough. Lastly, a newtling declining in vigour may partially revert to an indeterminate gender, mostly non-breeding. When in this stage, they are still valuable for their memories and abilities, but not so likely to arouse killing passions in those still desperate for a place in the breeding pools.

        So Che'en may sex male, as is appropriate for Father Newtling, and then become female later if all goes well. Finding the missing eye for the Great Newt's statue in the Rainbow Mounds would probably earn him great favour with them. We figure that it may have been in a daughter colony in the ZF, lost when they were exterminated. Best idea so far is that the Storm Bulls have it, and use it to scry for Chaos in the Devil's Marsh round the Block. We're trying to figure out what would convince them to give it up. Stealing it doesn't seem like a healthy long-term option!

        Another idea that we had is that outgoing bachelors may often give incoming returnees good gen on the present situations in the home marshes. Who's getting past it, which the tough villages are, who's recruiting for new mates. After all, they've just been turfed out, and could use someone remembering their help when they come back years from now.

        BTW, I never mentioned that I really liked Tim Ellis' phrase 'Brave New(t) World'. I think it should definitely be the title of the scenario!

        I also liked (?)'s idea of the original ZF newtling colony being wiped out in a backlash against the EWF and the 'Newt World Order. I had much the same feeling; namely that there must have been an earlier colony that was rubbed out when the Dragonkill War occurred.

Alison

P.S. Jeff, if you feel this is starting to get too Digesty, say the word and I'll transfer over. At the moment, I am seriously asking for help for a new scenario, and feel that fleshing out our ideas on newtlings may help others help us. Thanks.

> By the way (question for Alison), I always assumed
that Newtling "bachelors" matured into both males and females ...If it is, now that I think about, are they always males and females (just immature), or is it not apparent until maturity (or not even decided until maturity) which sex they will be?

David.

wrote:

> > Perhaps there are a heck of a lot of bachelor
newtlings and they go everywhere. Those who go furthest or to the most difficult places and return get the best breeding spots and mates. Implies large broods and a high mortality rate before maturity but I don't think anyone has gone into the newtling lifecycle that deeply.