Re: "Pavis - Herowars. Epic Adventures in the Legendary City" - a reviewette

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:22:53 +0000

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:27:35 +0000, you wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:43:35 -0000, "Phil Hibbs"
><phil_at_...> wrote:
>
>>>she's a devotee of Orlanth's red-headed daughter (11M)
>>
>>No she isn't!
>
>I believe the point is, she is NOW (in the new French edition). And I
>for one agree with the decision, had the possibility been around when
>she was first created, she may well have been from the start.

Oliver has said on so many occasions that she is not the sort to be an initiate of any god that I really can't see her (assuming we are talking about the same Her) being a devotee of anyone. Griselda is too private, too cagey to go devoting herself to any god, especially one as impulsive as Vinga.

I think that Oliver probably overstates the 'Griselda isn't the sort to be an initiate' thing because he's thinking of Real World initiating sects like Mithras, in which to be an initiate was to know all kinds of secret knowledge, hidden to the common people. Within a theistic Gloranthan culture, where not being an initiate is the same as being a child, it would be pretty damned odd. In fact it would draw so much attention that it would be completely out of character.

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"