Re: Heroquest/Spiritquest/Essence Plane

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:19:56 -0000

Maybe this is part of our challenge...certainly at times I feel like a non-rider asking "how do you ride a bicycle?" of someone who has done it all their life. I think sometimes the hardest questions for us to grasp your answers on are the most basic.

I'm not positive about Mike, but I know that specifically what I'm trying to get at is the flavor of these quests. I understand that on the one hand the rules are the same for all, and on the other the flavor of the quest is really the flavor of the myths.

So let me try and ask a couple of basic questions, to make sure we haven't overlooked the "keep your hands on the handelbar" step.

  1. Do myths vary in flavor between predominant magic systems. If you were to tell the myth underlying quests to deal with some typical crisis--say drought--from three cultures, one predominantly theistic, one predominantly animist, and one predominantly sorcerous, would you expect that a player would be able to tell which one came from which culture? (assuming some basic knowledge of Glorantha, but without recognition of the name in the myths).
  2. Do Myths (and hence quests) vary more between magic systems, or between cultures? That is, will Rokari myths seem any stranger to an Esrolian than Dara Happan myths do?

Regards;

--Bryan (who is looking forward to mulling this over during a six hour drive tonight--nothing like a little Glorantha-stentionalism to make quite times more interesting *grin*)