Re: Heroplane from different viewpoints

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:58:11 -0000

Actually, I expect it would usually go the other way around.

That is, if the quest isn't directly about the sun and/or his personality, yes, it might be as you describe. The three questers are walking through the forest, they get into a clearing, they look up at the sun--the Dara Happan sees a mighty king on a throne, the Grazelander sees a warrior on a horse, etc.--and they go on their way.

But if the quest (or even just the station) is *about* the sun, I don't think this could work. If the contest is "convince the Sun to let you do something", I don't think you could have each quester perceive the Sun completely differently, and still have them all participate in the same station.

So here, I expect it goes the other way around--they all see the same entity, but they don't all agree that it's the sun. That is, if it's a Dara Happan heroquest, the station might be "convince Yelm to grant permission to go further". All the questers see Yelm, and in more or less the same way--e.g. a glorious emperor sitting on a throne, attended by servants. It's just that they don't all agree on just who and what Yelm is. The Dara Happan knows that Yelm is the Sun; the Grazelander and Malkioni (and, for that matter, the Heortlander) think it's just a mighty god, certainly with light and fire powers, but not actually the sun. (Because, you see, the sun is Yu-Kargzant/Elmal/a fiery essence/the Sky Dragon's arsehole/whatever, so obviously Yelm isn't the sun!)

I think this might be the general rule in heroquests. People from different origins on the same quest have the same experiences, but understand them differently. Everyone goes into the same thatched longhouse and sees the same barbarian chieftain, but one character recognizes that chief as Orlanth the King of the World, while another knows him for a pathetic rebel on the run from Yelm's justice, and yet another just sees him as a bandit leader of some local importance.