Re: Re: Carrying subjecivity WAY too far

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:01:10 +0000 (GMT)

> Everyone sees it as the leader sees it.

OK.

> Now, some people might see more or
> less if you are the one
> involved in a particular station (as the active
> participant, so when
> "Orlanth used Humakt to slay the enemy", the guy
> taking the part of
> Humakt/Sword/Death will "see" the station with more
> depth than the rest of the party, imo).

You keep saying "the" guy - I thought you can have more than one person in a role? The crowd of faceless extras who're along for the learning experience?

> > > Even if you are different magical backgrounds,
> > > you'll still see the same
> > > thing. You may see it a little differently,
> >
> > It's that "little differently" that gets me
> > interested. We've added all this complication to
> the
> > rules with three different magic systems, now how
> do
> > we milk it for effect?
>
> Perceptions on the Hero Plane are the same
> (generally) as on the Mundane
> plane, those possibly more (or less, in
> circumstances) vivid.

How boring :(

You know at a game-design level, I'm starting to wonder about the point of having all this extra complication, when we don't seem to get many interesting differences out of it. We might as well just have everyone as a theist and keep the rules simple for all the difference it seems to make.

> > And at this point they're looking at the same
> thing
> > (Orlanth/Harry) and seeing something completely
> > different.

> Not really -
> Harry...Tim sees a blast of wind with
> icicle beard and diamond teeth.

> Harry's buddies see Harry as Harry the Stormgod

Sounds completely different to me?

> The change in story isn't so much in Magical system,
> but in culture. A
> Heorlting's Stories are going to be different from a
> Solar's, ot a Praxians,
> or a Black Horse trooper's, not because they use
> different magical systems,
> bu because they have different stories.

OK.

> > Hmm, a nasty thought. If you've been sucked in as
> the
> > opposition, you weren't expecting it, you've just
> > found yourself on the Heroplane ....

> if
> there are rutial roles for you in an enemy's HQ,
> then there is a story and
> HQ that you'll know.

Sure?

I'm assuming here that not all members of a culture know all the stories of that culture. The major ones, yes, but not the minor.

So say a Vingan is doing a "Vinga beats up a troll" story. She sucks in a passing troll. Yes, there is a "ZZ gets beaten up by Vinga" story, but there's no reason why this troll (not a ZZ worshipper) should know it. Does he "recognise" it as being part of a story he *does* know, and see things as fitting that? "Argan Argar tricks the stupid human (gender unspecified)", or something?

> I think (though I'm willing to be proved wrong) that
> you are correct - in a
> "practice Quest" you are recognizably 8you*, just
> "bigger" or "infused with
> the [god/spirit/saint] - you "wear your hero light".

As per Rurik.

> In the hero Plane, you are Orlanth, or Waha, or St.
> Gerlant. That's how you
> appear to your followers and supporters anyway. You
> might or might not
> appear like that to anyone you meet - you might be
> the Cold Wind, or the
> Summer Zephyr, or whatever, since the perception of
> you depends on the story
> the viewer is following and your part in it.

They can't see you as you at all? Impossible? Not just 10W5 resistance, but impossible?

> > If Hugo was one of Harry's followers, then what?
> At a
> > tentative guess, what is seen by the party as a
> whole
> > is determined by the "leader", and the starting
> > ceremonies magically bind them together in a way
> that
> > specifies who the leader is today?
>
> The leader is the guy taking the leader role in the
> story.

And changing who leads for a station? When they get to teh "Orlanth's healer heals the poor lion", does the CA rep become the leader for that station, and her version of the story dominate? Or not? It'll be her ability being tested, not his.

> > OK. So as a GM you need to look at the essentials
> of
> > the plot of the story you're following and come up
> > with an opponent that fits those essentials, not
> > necessarily the specifics. Which is fun in itself,
> but
> > that's a whole different can of worms. (Is Aroka
> "a
> > thing that brings drought", or "a thing that
> imprisons
> > my friend"?)
>
> Right. There's always the "Surprise!" element.
> Imagine what happens when you
> realize that Aroka was imprisoning the person you
> though was your enemy!

well, yes, but that wasn't the point I was making. If you see the Aroka myth as about freeing an imprisoned friend, then Aroka may be represented by a cage. If you see Aroka as about stopping drought, maybe Aroka is a hot dry wind, or a dam. No real surprises there, just a change in what you see depending on how you approach it.