Re: Re: Carrying subjecivity WAY too far

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:40:32 +0000 (GMT)

> I had a couple ideas in the shower this morning
> (stop giggling, you in the back!)

There are worse places to get ideas.

> Heroquests are like Going to the Movies.
> You do the pre-movie ritual (buy your ticket, buy
> popcorn and a drink,
> whatever your preferred ritual is).
> You and your friends watch the same piece of film.
> You all come out of the movie with different topics
> of conversation

Nice. Not an exact parallel of course (before we get into one of those arguments again!) but looks like a good one. I'd hope HQing was a little less "spectator" than watching a movie, though?

> You all "saw the same thing", but it affected you in
> individual ways
>
> (Sitting at home with a DVD or Video copy of the
> movie would be equivalent
> of a practice quest, I suppose ;-).

erm.... less convinced here.

> Heroquests are like Networked computer games:
> It doesn't matter if you are on a Mac, or PC, or
> Unix box - if your machine
> can run the program, you can all experience the same
> game. (And it takes
> place in a world that the everyday person can't get
> to easily - you need
> special rituals and implements to breach the 10w3
> "Internet barrier"...).

That sounds better. The practice quest would be the board-game equivalent, where you can see your opponent and know who they are, I suppose. Over the net, you only know who they are if they tell you, or if you recognise their playing style.

Oh, yes, in fact move from "Networked computer games" to "RPGs", and that's quite close.

> > You keep saying "the" guy - I thought you can have
> > more than one person in a role? The crowd of
> faceless
> > extras who're along for the learning experience?
>
> "The guy" is just a shortcut word

right, fine.

> For example, in Orlanth vrs Aroka, Orlanth is the
> main hero. Even if I and
> all my heroband take part in this quest, there is
> ultimately one person who
> is going to "be Orlanth" - we're not going to share
> the role.

Ah. Not the way we've done things in the past. I think we were on HW rules at that stage, but most HQs we've done, "we" were "Humakt". We never set specific roles beyond that.

> > > Perceptions on the Hero Plane are the same
> > > (generally) as on the Mundane
> > > plane, those possibly more (or less, in
> > > circumstances) vivid.
> >
> > How boring :(
>
> Sorry. You want mind-blowing Peter Max
> Yellow-Submarine psychodelics, visit
> the Spirit plane...

So that's what it's like!

> The hero plane isn't too much different than the
> mundane plane. The same
> basic rules usually apply there as they do here
> .... Some
> bits are different (and it never semes to occurs to
> the knight that this is
> in any way wierd), but the main non-important parts
> remain the same.

yes, it's the lack of distinction between different people's magic that I find disappointing. We give them different names for all their magical abilities, but then they all look the same.

> > > thing
> completely
> >
> > > Not really -
> > > Harry...Tim sees a blast of wind with
> > > icicle beard and diamond teeth.
> >
> > > Harry's buddies see Harry as Harry the Stormgod
>
> > Sounds completely different to me?
>
> It is.
> Harry the Stormgod (grey eys, white beard, mighty
> warrior) is how Harry and
> his followers see Harry.
> Blast of Wind (icicles, diamond teeth), is how Tim
> and *his* followers see Harry.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. So you'd describe the scene one way for Harry's player, then describe it another way for Tim's player.

You know, you could have real fun when Harry decides to come over all Arkati and swap myths in mid-story. Gives the Dark Monster a Hard Stare and wills it to be a Dark Dragon instead.

> Ok, your "culture" (as in your cultural keyword or
> your magical keyword)
> will have a story about whatever quest you have a
> chance of getting sucked in to.

yes - of course, their side of the story will probably differ from the enemy version.

> Whether your hero knows the exact details is
> what the "Know Myths of
> [XXX]" is for. You have a chance to know them, and
> if you are likely to be
> sucked into a heroquest, you probably *do* know the
> appropriate myths.

But not for certain, right? In the case where you don't, what do you see?

> > So say a Vingan is doing a "Vinga beats up a
> troll"
> > story. She sucks in a passing troll....

> For the most part he sees a red-headed gal with a
> nasty spear...

Fair enough.

And presumably if this was a "Practice" Quest, he'd see Rana the Vingan from the local human clan, the one who killed half his mates last season, only she's glowing. He doesn't know or care why, in detail, he just hits her (or runs).

> > They can't see you as you at all? Impossible? Not
> just
> > 10W5 resistance, but impossible?
>
> When you enter the Hero planes on a known quest, you
> "put on a mask" - you
> become Orlanth or Waha or whoever. There is a chance
> that someone can "see
> beneath the mask", but it's a long shot - at least
> until you've encounteed
> them a few times. Even then I wouldn't give high
> odds.

Any guesses as to the chances?

Yahoo! Photos � NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com