Re: Re: Carrying subjecivity WAY too far

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:42:39 +0000 (GMT)

> > It was, almost. The characters sort of mentally
> > semi-merged, and there was never any argument
> about
> > what to do, anyway. "Hit it" covered many things.
> "Be
> > brave" covered others.
>
> You sure you guys weren't doing Storm Bull instead?
> :-).

Not that time. That time we were going for a chat with the Hell Hag, to get some information off her. The time we did a Vadrus quest was later, and accidental (oops, we seem to be on the HeroPlane - pick a myth that fits our requirements, quick!) and yes, we had a lead PC, and yes, he's had certain personality changes as a result.

> Okay here's an official-sounding sentence: "Know
> Myths of [XXX]" is the
> ability used to determine what myth you've been
> sucked into. Improvisational
> modifiers apply if it not *your* [XXX] that the myth
> is about.

Sounds good to me, and what I'd have used if no guidance was available.

> but if this station is
> > "have a fight", and you can win..?
>
> *IF* this is "have a fight". It might be "Recognize
> each other at the last
> minute as long-lost brothers" or "Agree to fight
> that thing over there" and if you don't play your
role...

Yes, I'm toying with the idea that the new arrival doesn't realise this is "meant" to be a fight, and goes for a seduction attempt instead. Remembering how Vingan doing Aroka in KoDP handles the Dark Woman, only in reverse.

So presumably Our Hero shrugs and goes for it! (If he's being Orlanth. Humakt would have other ideas.)

> > OK, so that's the number for the God World. So say
> > 10W2 for the Hero Plane? High enough to be a
> > challenge, low enough to be game-possible.
>
> I'd maybe go 10w3ish - but this is my personal
> opinion, at this time, and
> should not be construed as a hard and fast rules
> pronouncement.

Fair enough - your personal opinion is usually pretty much considered and in line with the rules as written (no surprise!), so as an estimate that'll do me. I'd probably modify it by how well the person you're looking at is playing their role, anyway. And how recognisable they are in and of themselves. The GT text suggests that the more powerful they are, the easier they are to recognise, but things like "only one leg, and a beak" are always hints.