HQ mixed magic and leadership (was Re: Carrying subjecivity WAY too far)

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:31:16 -0000

Actually, the sample quest in the _HeroQuest_ rulebook involves participants from all three magic systems, even though the myth appears to be theistic. The rulebook seems fairly clear about how this works. For example (if I remember correctly) characters from the "wrong" magic system in that sample quest are uncomfortable when the party is in the God World (because of the Alien World penalty), but OK once they get to the Hero Plane.

That sample quest also has the immortal words, "All of us, our band, will be Bonborn." I have always interpreted that to mean that a group can take the leading role in a heroquest. Maybe the group is supposed to designate some fixed individual to take the lead role, but that individual doesn't have to do all the things attributed to the leader -- the other characters can be Bonborn's spear, his cleverness, etc., and accomplish the challenges at each station. In the limit, the individual who is the "leader" might be nothing but a figurehead, with his anonymous companions doing all the work (a possibility that the rulebook specifically mentions, I believe).

In fact, one narrator I've played with has allowed player characters to take turns in the lead role at each station. This goes beyond what Roderick suggested, but it doesn't seem to do serious violence to the rules.

Rob