Re: Mixed Magic HQs

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:06:42 -0800 (PST)

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
> From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
> > This lack of examples is probably because mixed system
> > Questing tends to require writing it from two or more,
> > possibly opposed, viewpoints, and giving each his own
> > myth in full detail.
>
> Actually, mixed system heroquests are relatively rare. There are
> few stories of people from different cultures working together.
> That is a modern thing.

Impedance mismatch, here. I was writing of Published Heroquests (few of which were written by actual Glorathans :-), versus In-Worlds Heroquests. I expect that Orlanthi-all, if not Yelmic-all, In-World quests only use gods, great spirits, or saints from other cultures as antagonists.

OTOH, I thought that most societies are sort of mixed, except for the crazy fanatics who concentrate their magic. Frex, Kolat with the Orlanthi, especially back in the First Age, or among Wind Children. Thus, I would expect to see Quests where one culture but two magics systems are represented on one side.

Or do the priests know which type of system each Quest prefers, and force the Orlanth worshippers to sit back and just give community support when the Kolat rites are used for this week's service?

> If the Issaries guy takes command of the LBQ, it quadruples the
> difficulties because he doesn't have the right knowledge and skills.

What about playing Richeleu or Mazarin, to Orlanth's King Louis? Alternately, Merlin to Arthur?

Do You Yahoo!?