Re: Re: Mixed Magic HQs

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:19:51 GMT

In message <20060224170642.60626.qmail_at_...> David Weihe writes:

>OTOH, I thought that most societies are sort of mixed, except for the
>crazy fanatics who concentrate their magic. Frex, Kolat with the
>Orlanthi, especially back in the First Age, or among Wind Children.
>Thus, I would expect to see Quests where one culture but two magics
>systems are represented on one side.
>
>Or do the priests know which type of system each Quest prefers, and
>force the Orlanth worshippers to sit back and just give community
>support when the Kolat rites are used for this week's service?

I think it's more of a case of the Kolat shaman performs the ritual and the rest of the clan does what they've been told. They don't know the ritual well enough to do anything else. There are probably some individuals who do not take part at all because even their presence is enough to disrupt this particular ritual. (Humatki for anything to do with bringing forth life is an obvious example). This counts as community support in rules terms.

I suppose a modern analogue would be a church service performed by a sect other than your own. You recognise what's going on but you don't know precisely what's going to happen next. You don't know how to respond when the ordinary members (initiates) do and some of it may be in a language you don't understand. If you are particular about your own sect's beliefs you may find some bits offensive and refuse to take part in that bit.

That's the sort of difference between different theistic cults. The difference between Orlanthi and Kolat is probably closer to the difference between Christian and Shinto.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/