Mixed Magic HQs

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 20:22:49 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Gianfranco Geroldi" <giangero_at_...>
comments on
> Subject: Re: Mixed Magic HQs

> Well, they (or rather some of them) eventually created Osentalka,
> caused the SunStop, evoked Gbaji and were crusaded upon by Arkat.
> Therefore the risks of meddling magic systems and myths are clear to
> anyone.
> Even without quoting the God Learners of the imperial age...

Excellent point--and one which the Gloranthans will remember as a cautionary tale AGAINST mixing the magics and cultures...

> From: "Gianfranco Geroldi" <giangero_at_...>
comments somemore on
> Subject: HQ mixed magic and leadership

> An overall penalty is a good representation of that, even if you don't
> want to call it "alien world modifier".

Yes.

> From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Mixed Magic HQs

I said
>> Actually, mixed system heroquests are relatively rare. There are
>> few stories of people from different cultures working together.
>> That is a modern thing.

by which, I of course mean a "modern Glorantha thing."

> I expect that Orlanthi-all, if not Yelmic-all, In-World
> quests only use gods, great spirits, or saints from other cultures as
> antagonists.

There are plenty of gods fighting gods, of saints fighting saints and spirits fighting spirits as well.

> OTOH, I thought that most societies are sort of mixed, except for the
> crazy fanatics who concentrate their magic. Frex, Kolat with the
> Orlanthi, especially back in the First Age, or among Wind Children.
> Thus, I would expect to see Quests where one culture but two magics
> systems are represented on one side.

You are correct, and I fooled myself by saying "mixed system" in that context.
Kolat and Orlanth are int he same culture, and they regularly work together. It is not the systems, but the cultures that mix poorly.

> Or do the priests know which type of system each Quest prefers, and
> force the Orlanth worshippers to sit back and just give community
> support when the Kolat rites are used for this week's service?

It's not a matter of focring, of course. Kolat is the main leader in some stories, and Orlanth happily, naturally lends his support.

>> If the Issaries guy takes command of the LBQ, it quadruples the
>> difficulties because he doesn't have the right knowledge and skills.
>
> What about playing Richeleu or Mazarin, to Orlanth's King Louis?
> Alternately, Merlin to Arthur?

These are supporting roles, and of course that is what they are supposed to do. Issaries is integral, essential to the LBQ, but not the leader EXCEPT in those places where he comes to the fore.

> From: "Santo Sengupta" <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>

> 4. The Kralori and the Vithelans, I would add, never relied on the
> Waertagi, and have Gods and HeroQuests related to the Ocean. Thrunhin Da,
> the Blue Dragon of the Deep, is mentioned in Men of the Sea.

Yep. But for the types of characters that I have been talking about (i.e.- those that are known to the players) those would be foreign myths.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
2140 Shattuck Ave., pmb #2030,