Re: "Un-failing" at Heroquesting

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:58:32 -0800 (PST)

> markmohrfield_at_... writes:
> > The Apostles as player characters: a thought too
terrifying to contemplate!

        Considering that the apostles (and Jesus) apparently thought that the legions of Heaven would defend them (two swords against the Roman army?!), they sound very much like HQing adventurers. The terms of victory did have to be hastily recast to conform to the facts of Jesus' arrest, trial and execution, not to mention to allay the suspicions of the Romans.

        Many myths are cast to show that a particular flaw in the god/hero, or a vital item missing, is all that stood between failure and success. So, I can perfectly see that many minds would then think, well, if I could get Yelmalio to look the right way at the right time, then Zorak Zoran wouldn't be able to sneak up on him! Or something to that effect.

        I suspect that many of the 'failure' myths (e.g. Yelmalio at the Hill of Gold) are explained to show how this was all part of an ineffable plan and truly for the best. In that way, religious heirarchies will perhaps prevent their strongest hotheads from deciding to try to undo the defining events of their mythology, and bring down the wrath of the gods.

        This must vary between player groups, but it's likely that many think that this kind of effect is possible if they just prepare well enough, and try hard enough.  Something that I'll now make sure to scotch, if it ever comes up in our group.

        Thanks for bringing this point up. It made me think.

Alison

Do You Yahoo!?