Re: [hw] TR Queries

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:13:44 -0000

Or initiates of the Great God -- but who's going to trust them? They're craaaaazy!

> > Next Question: Entertainers are a female profession? I find that
> > surprising - the male Eurmal archetype always seemed a strong one.
> > Anyone know why it's wrong?

Eurmal is entertaining not an entertainer. Subtle difference. =) Actually, from what Greg's said to various folks, being an Eurmali is a definite curse and not a blessing.

> > Skald's on the other hand being male only makes perfect sense,
though
> > calling for a storyline about a woman called to be a poet.
>
> It's a split between the "High" and "Low" entertainers. men are
"high"
> entertainers and so are taught those skills, while women are "low"
> enetrtainers and are taught *those* ones. persoanlly I didn't like
the split
> along gender lines.

I suppose. But at least we have Orlanthi Punch and Judy shows without having mimes...

> > Final question:
> > Where's the Thrall keyword? It seems to be the only one of the
> > eighteen professions not given a keyword. While a Thrall may not
be
> > job for a Hero I am quite certain that a character could have
risen
> > from Thralldom to become a hero. Beat Pot Alwerin springs to mind,
> > even if he is on the other side.
>
> "Thrall" isn't an occupation, it's a situation. You can be a farming
or
> fishing or stickpicking or whatever thrall (not a Warrior, though -
can't be
> given weapons). You may have been captured in a raid, and so know
the Close
> Combat abilities of a normal Heortling. Children born oif thralls
aren't
> automatically thralls themselves (check page 41). Ypou'll note that
we also
> don't have "Carl", "Cottar" or "Noble" keywords - these are all
situations
> that can change...

Or one can say that a thralls are a social status and not a job. Just like cottar, carl.

I can have a thrall who is a herder or a farmer or a steadwife, afterall -- rather than a 'sentient beast of burden' keyword.

Jeff