Re: Thanatari stealing Spirit Magic?

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:58:17 -0500

Namaste:

On 3/6/06, Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...> wrote:

> A last minute thought before my PCs interrupt almost every Thanatari in
> Teshnos at a ritual
> to Consume the Mind of the Highest Priest of Somash Endi Varo:

Oooh, how delightfully evil and tasty.

What's your opinion on whether Atyari can Consume Spirit Magics? How about
> the spirits
> associated with a victim of Head Taking?

The Chaos "Gods", IMHO, break all the normal rules of Gloranthan magic. I'd say Thanatari can consume most forms of Theistic and Animistic magic, though I think they would have a harder time with some Wizardry, like Scriptures, Blessings and Formularies.

Paraphrasing Greg (I searched for the quote in back messages and the digest
> and can't find
> it) he said something like "god magic is something you are, sorcery is
> something you know,
> and spirit magic is something you have" makes me think that the first time
> the head master
> called up a spirit using the new head, the spirit would go "Yuck! this
> wasn't part of my deal.
> I'm out of here!"

Unless of course, the spirit was also trapped and bound inside the head. I would probably require that the fetish or charm that the spirit lived in was somehow desecrated during the Head creation ritual.

You could rule that the 3 divisions of the Thanatari fall along the 3 worlds division - Atyar is a Sorcery, Than is a Spirit-Tradition, and Thanatar a God.

--
-Santo
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."