RE: Chaos Magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:24:33 -0000

> > These guys were definitely Theist. At least, they thought
> they were. Only
> as
> > far as I know there is no god called Oilamley, so it must
> have been some
> > sort of chaotic god lying to them.
>
> Err, charlatans *do* exist in Glorantha, with no need for an
> Otherworld
> being (chaotic or otherwise) to feed energy to. All the
> energy put into
> worhipping the "god" in question might be simply wasted effort,

They got quite powerful magic out of it, somehow.

> or might be
> part of a scam to "feed" the mortal head of the cult (maybe giving him
> enough oomph to attain god-like powers through heroquesting).

It did that all right. Well, enough magical powers to dominate everyone else in sight, anyway. He was trying to father a Divine Child, too. It hadn't occurred to me that he'd invented the entire cult himself and knew perfectly well it was a fake, but could be. If we make their magic magical widget something he'd found in the Rubble and didn't understand properly, that might well work.

The cultists did register as Chaotic, but possibly that's a result of their actions,not vice versa? ISTR someone once saying that enough of acting like a broo turns you into a broo, so maybe. (Deliberately not going into details on the "family" list!)

> Just because a magico-religious framework exists aound an
> item, it doesn't
> mean that the substance of the item is Otherworldly...

What, not even in Glorantha? I know it's the norm over here, but there, is it even possible?