Re: Chaos Magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:17:51 +0000 (GMT)

> > They got quite powerful magic out of it, somehow.
>
> How many "worshippers" were there, all plugging in
> with "Absolute Full
> Mindless Cooperation" on the community support
> table?

I'm not sure. But they'd built/converted a Temple, that may have helped. And they have this big Magical Widget.

Maybe a few dozen "Absolute Full Mindless Cooperation" level, and a couple of hundred "if we don't he'll kill us or worse" level. Plus the sacrificial victims - well, their minds, memories and souls are being pulled off *somewhere* so I assume the power's going somewhere. And when the Magical Widget smashed (the scenario is called the Shattered Mirror for a reason) they got a lot of it back.

Oh yes, I had a dragonnewt in there, too. Advising on this memory-sucking gadget. His name's Minarius.

> Figure that if a being is spending 10% of their time
> thinking about,
> planning, or doing a specific act (like Rape or
> Cannibalism) then they are
> basically worshipping the appropriate god-thing even
> if they aren't
> attending services on the Holy Day. And if you
> worship, you might just get
> benefits, whether you are ready or not...

Sounds very reasonable.

> I wouldn't put the chance of becoming a broo
> spontaneously at very high for
> a 10%er, but a 60%er human serial rapist
> "subconscious devotee" of Thed...

yeah :(

> Yep. The example above of a mortal setting up a
> "magical pyramid scheme" to
> benefit himself is just such a case (the head of the
> "cult" being a
> ThisWorldly, not OtherWorldly, being). HQ 105 has
> the boxed text on Charlatans and False Belief.

Ah, thanks (looks up page ref). Oh. Not exactly detailed, is it? Fine, I'll carry on making it up as I go along.