Re: Charlatans

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:50:39 +0000

Andrew Solovay:

>* In Glorantha, the placebo effects may be more pronounced. A
>charlatan comes to the stead and says "Give me ten pigskins for my
>ritual and I'll make the drought end." The steaders fall for it--but
>now you have an entire steadful of people who *believe* that Big
>Magic is going to end the drought. That belief alone might be enough
>to have an effect.

I can't imagine any possible Gloranthan mechanism by which this could work, though. To do magic, you need spells/charms/whatever - as far as I'm aware, belief alone is worth squat. That's really the whole point of saying that charlatans like this exist; because believing something is so is *not* enough to make it so (except to the extent that placebos work in the real world, of course). I would categorically say this is impossible in my Glorantha, and I'd guess that mine's a lot more flexible in this sort of respect than the intended default. YGWV, of course.

>* (Related) The charlatan may be getting magical power from the
>people he's fooled. He tells them that they're worshipping Big Juju,
>but there is no Big Juju--instead, all that magical worship energy
>is going to the charlatan himself. And maybe he can use that energy
>to do some magic--heal the sick, smite the unbeliever, that kind of
>thing--and thus perpetuate the scam.

This, on the other hand, is quite possible. For instance, the charlatan could promise that, by giving him your magical energy (etc.) you too will be able to gain these powers for yourself... you'll just have to be very patient. And, of course, they never materialise, because that's not what's going on. Or, alternatively, he claims that the powers are far more potent than they actually are - preferably in a way that you can't actually check. Most Gloranthans, after all, don't expect to gain Cool Powers from worship; they expect good crops, or the continued existence of justice in the universe, or things of that sort - a good charlatan can convince people that this is happening, even when it isn't. And that's even if he *hasn't* specifically got some sort of illusionary/trickery magic...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic