Re: Flying Magic in HeroQuest

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 09:34:45 -0800 (PST)

        I'd argue for both the possibilities. Yes, if you wish to visit the Sky Realm, this will take you there.  However, birds are the archetypal Sky creatures, and the vast majority of their lives is spent in the Middle Air very close to ground level. So, troops of low-flying cavalry sound perfectly possible.

        I ask myself, though, whether flying cavalry in an engaged battle is really a bright idea. (Mind you, if it's possible, it will happen.) Yes, you can rain arrows down from on high out of range, but your accuracy diminishes badly. Using enough magic to ensure continued accuracy will drain your reserves pretty quickly.

        Also, your horse will now need armour all over its body to protect from grievous belly wounds and shattering leg wounds if flying low enough to sharpshoot without magic. How much encumbrance can they fly with? When flying in the Middle Air (and anything in reasonable arrow range would be), sylphs would be a huge danger.

        The major advantages of such cavalry might are their inherent manoeuvrability, plus great recon. Once the two sides are engaged, flying archers are mostly just a danger to both sides.

        I can see one other huge danger they can present - a crushing ground charge into an unprotected rear. If both sides have flying powers though, then you have dogfights all over the air. As in WWI, with not too much effect on the troops below. Both sides need the air abilities, but once both have them, not a lot changes. It's still the ground troops that take the battlefield.

        So, when both sides are used to their presence, their usefulness as a flying corps will often be limited to the preliminary stages.

Alison

Do You Yahoo!?