Re: Flying Magic in HeroQuest

From: danhalberd <dan_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:11:10 -0000

In a battle when shooting at formed bodies of enemy troops such as heavy infantry or cavalry accuracy probably isn't that significant. Volume of fire directed in the correct general direction is what is required.

> Also, your horse will now need armour all over its
> body to protect from grievous belly wounds and
> shattering leg wounds if flying low enough to
> sharpshoot without magic. How much encumbrance can
> they fly with? When flying in the Middle Air (and
> anything in reasonable arrow range would be), sylphs
> would be a huge danger.

Historically skirmishing horse archers such as Skythians, Kimmerians, Huns etc. didn't use horse armour at all and generally didn't wear much personal armour either. They relied on their mobility to avoid enemy attack. This would certainly be enhanced by being air-mobile. The main danger that such troops faced historically was being charged by javalin or lance armed light or medium cavalry. The horse archers would then wish to keep their distance and there was a danger that a planned skirmishing retreat would turn into flight especially if they were poorly disciplined. They were however effective against heavier cavalry whose horses would tend to become winded in the pursuit before coming to effective range. Armoured horse archers were gnerally deployed either as heavy cavalry such as some Byzantines and Assyrians or some heavier Skythian cavalry. Some were also cataphrachts like Parthians.

I think an army without airmobile troops of their own would have serious problems dealing with them in the same way that infantry armies often had terminal problems dealing with horse archers.