Re: Thunder Rebels

From: brian.duguid_at_...
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:19:13 -0000

There seems to be plenty of exaggeration going on in response to TR's gender role divisions. As well as Graham's point above, Wulf said:

> but the message it gives to present-day players -
> decent men are warriors, decent women are housewives

TR states quite clearly, however, that steadwife and steadhusband/farmer are the two default occupations and cults. Warriors are clearly a minority. Graham also seems to have ignored all the choices for female characters to be leaders, elemental summoners etc - there are several Ernaldan variants suitable for an adventurous game.

Personally, I think one of the best things about TR is that it continues a general trend for Hero Wars to focus away from combat and onto other forms of conflict. If your game is solely combat-oriented, then, sure, TR places huge limitations on female characters. But even there, most of the Ernaldan subcults have affinities which can be used creatively in combat, whether it's Bevara's Ear-Splitting Scream, any of the various peace-making feats, or an imaginative use of something else e.g. fertility.

But perhaps a better response would be to see how games can adapt themselves to TR. Negotiating with the uz should be every bit as tense as fighting them. There is, after all, always another way.