Re: Interesting snippet on hill-fort design -Sling and bow ranges

From: danhalberd <dan_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:45:51 -0000

Its hard to know what the cavalry would have done. Xenephon is pretty
clear that they stayed at a distance and fired arrows in this case. Clearly you disagree but it seems to me that if the Persians were beyond Cretans' bow range then the Cretans can't have been that worried about being caught by a cavalry charge before they could retire through the phalanx. Certainly cavalry did ride down psiloi if
they caught them in the open. What I was suggesting wasn't really about this however - I was arguing that the Persians's bows outranged
the Cretans (which is what Xenephon said) hence they withdraw inside the phalanx. Note that there is no mention of the Rhodian slingers being driven in by the Persian cavalry when they are used.

> (besides having the depth of the phalanx to shoot over, thus the
rang
> comment). Indirect fire wasn't an practiced art in ancient armies.

I can't let that go however!

Early Persian Sparabara infantry formed up 10 ranks deep with the front man protected by a large shield and the next 9 ranks armed with
bows. Neo-Assyrian infantry also formed up 10 deep with 5 ranks of spear and shield armed infantry supported by 5 ranks of bowmen. The Athenian hoplites at Plataea probably drew up 8 deep and were supported by archers behind. Thematic Byzantine skoutatoi could from up with 8 ranks of pike supported by archers behind. I still say the reason the Cretans couldn't shoot was that they were out of range anyway not that they were behind the phalanx! Xenephon says later in 'The Persian Expedition': 'The Persians use large bows, and so all
the arrows of theirs which were picked up came in useful to the Cretans, who constantly used the enemy's arrows and practised longrange  shooting with a high trajectory.'