Re: Re: Loskalmi Dissertation

From: Tony Davis <gallows_brother_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:26:31 -0700 (PDT)

It brought to mind an idealized form of Byzantine government where the land was all owned by 'the Empire' and parceled out to various exarchs who ruled each province according to the will of the Emperor.

No idea like private property. Just everyone doing what they're supposed to.

Boring, but vaguely pleasant.

t.

> Howdy all -
>
> I wanted to follow on Greg's comments about Loskalm.
> I've long had a
> soft spot for the place - a nice example of
> non-dystopian utopia.
> However, I think the mistake folk are having is
> assuming that it is
> feudal - which it clearly is not. Instead, Loskalm
> under the Ban was a
> Golden Age - a time of perfection without external
> conflict.
>
> The Loskalmi scholar Andarlane wrote that the Ban
> was a gift of
> Irensavel which allowed men to partially transcend
> the corrupt
> material world of the evil demiurge Malkion.
> According to his
> writings, under the Ban Loskalm achieved perfect
> laws, perfect harmony
> and perfect justice, and it has been returned to the
> corrupt world so
> that the demiurge might be defeated and that all men
> might be shown
> the path to Solace and Joy.
>
> Fwiw, some good literary models for Loskalm are
> Tommaso
> Campanella's "The City of the Sun" (1623), Roger
> Bacon's "The New
> Atlantis" (1626) or the "Liber Concordiae Novi ac
> Veteris Testamenti"
> of Joachim of Fiore (c 1200). Run with the
> possibilities - more than
> its meritocracy, Loskalm is a millenia utopia now
> placed in conflict
> with the rest of the world.
>
> Jeff
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> HeroQuest-RPG-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

Do You Yahoo!?