Re: An example of interferring with someone else's rituals

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:37:04 -0000

> >Jane just made an extremely important point. Paths in the
> >Hero Plane are narrative, not physical, and any "map" of the
> >Heroplane is an attempt to understand the labyrinth of the
> >mythical narrative.
> And that explains why I have mental problems with the use of
> "map" for describing the Heroplane. To me a map is a diagram
> which relates places to each other. Plotline, storyline,
> history (inapproriate for myths) or even the invented word
> "mythline" all would make me think of events.

I find "map" works perfectly well for me - in this case it is a diagram which relates narrative events, places, and characters. The Heroplane is not just events, after all. Think of it as a random assortment of snippets of sacred stories, which Gloranthans can experience in the right circumstances but they still need to assemble together in order to make sense of them. Unless you think that you can actually read (and make some sense out of) "Finnegan's Wake" without a guide.

Jeff