Re: Re: An example of interferring with someone else's rituals

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:59:23 +0100 (BST)

> > >Jane just made an extremely important point.
> Paths in the
> > >Hero Plane are narrative, not physical, and any
> "map" of the
> > >Heroplane is an attempt to understand the
> labyrinth of the
> > >mythical narrative.

> > And that explains why I have mental problems with
> the use of
> > "map" for describing the Heroplane. To me a map is
> a diagram
> > which relates places to each other. ...

> I find "map" works perfectly well for me - in this
> case it is a
> diagram which relates narrative events, places, and
> characters. The
> Heroplane is not just events, after all. ....

The "map" of the London Underground links places by causality rather than direction or distance. The word "topology" was waved at me in school in this sort of context - it might help here?

Or if you've ever played Colossal Cave or similar games, and tried to "map" the mazes, you'll know that what you ended up with was more like a state-diagram than Ordinance Survey.

Ever played a Fighting Fantasy book and tried to map that? Again, some junctions said "left/right" and others said "fight orc/befriend orc". I bet you called the resulting scribbles a map. And that's probably as close as you'll get to a map of the HeroPlane. If you choose to seduce the Dark Woman, turn to page 98, if you fight her, go to page 34....