Re: Anamists in Dragon Pass

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:03:56 GMT

In message <20060516123427.70732.qmail_at_...> Gavain Sweetman writes:

>I am thinking about introducing an animist to my Orlanthi campaign.
>However, because of the lack of data on Orlanthi animists I don't
>know whether it is worth the effort.
>
>I have found references to Kolat but wasn't sure if this was a
>tradition or a practice. I am guessing , because it has lists
>shaman skills, that it is a practice. If so what tradition is
>Kolat part of? If not then I presume that there is another
>practice within the Kolat tradition that offers the shaman
>training and that it will be up to my player and I to "discover"
>the practices available within the Kolat tradition.

Given that there are very few Kolatings among Heortling clans I'd suggest it is both. The HQ book says traditions contain one or more practices and as Kolat doesn't provide most of the social functions of a religion it doesn't need a complete religious structure.

In my view Kolatings provide a way for clans to deal with the spirit world when necessary and they are tolerated for that purpose. When they start doing things for which a god is usually called on they're seen as interfering.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/