Re: Re: Thunder Rebels

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:51:18 -0500

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> --- Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...> wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
> >
> > > Prostitute? Really?
> > >

> > Hmmm. I seem to be the only one who has come across 'low
> entertainer'
> > as
> > euphemism for 'prostitute'.
> >
> > Perhaps I am reading more into some of this than I should be...
>
> I've heard it in an Elizabethan ontext, but not necessarily in an
> Orlanthi one. Since I haven't got my copy yet, what does Low
> Entertainer actually mean in an Orlanthi situation?
>
> Guy Hoyle

It means someone who entertains the carls and cotters rather than the thanes. Puppetshows, throat-singers, ox-bone players, etc. (there's a list of what sort of entertainment they provide in TR)

They are more like the medieval entertainers that one had rather than the bards and poets of the courtly entertainment.

Jeff