An epic description of our first LARP

From: gn_adamante <pa_champoux_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:37:04 -0000

Hi all

I will sent you a resume of our first LARP the 27-28-29 mai:

The action begin in " Pays d'Héorth" in 1314.

Scenario 1; Friday evening :
The King of the Hendriki learn about the dream of Colimar, he send his son and a delegation of priest to evaluate the virtues of Colimar and give him the King Blessing. Colimar have already a small number of partisans,

 To proof his worth to the King, Colimar try to convince more clan to support him in his dream of colonization. The "clan du Bison Rieur" is a "weak but rich" clan, after a violent split, the wounded chief of the " clan du Bison Rieur" search protection, When Colimar bring back the Black spear, this clan will support his cause. "Hunnox Bec de Corbeau" the violent outlawed Weaponthan sworn vengeance against The "Clan du Bison Rieur" because there affinity with "Colimar The Dragon friend" Hurnnox is an ultra orthodox Orlanth religious fanatic… he only follow the first law of Umath.

There was two other Clans, there are in feud since many generations, no compromise is acceptable for them. The original plan of Colimar and his Kin, is to help the "clan de la crevasse" to crush the "clan des Aunes". But finally, an Ernaldian healer convinces Colimar to try the other way. With the Black spear, Colimar convince these two clan to end there old feud and joint Colimar in the Dragon Pass.

The other faction is "Hurnnox Bec de Corbeau". After been outlawed, Hurnnox recruit a band of goon to kill Colimar and punish all the Dragons friends' clans. Hurnnox fear that Colimar want to wake the Dragons and remake the Wyrmfriends Empire. Finaly, Hurnnox Ambush Colimar and his kin late in the night, after an epic battle between the two heros, Colimar kill Hurnnox and half of his band, the rest flee in the deep wood.
 The night end on the Tula of the "Clan du Bison Rieur" The son of the King give the royal blessing,… beer, wine, laugh, epic story, duel and challenge until the sun rise…

Scenario 2 : Saturday afternoon:

The wake was hard for many…

The long March
Some seasons had pass… Colimar and his kin are ready to enter the Dragon Pass. The personal Lhankor Mhy of Colmar find a secret way to cross the "ligne des Gibet", a weak point to the Dragonwets curse. Colimar cross the Kitori territory without problem. When he reaches the "ligne des Gibet" Colimar make a ritual to "Orlanth the dragon slayer" to break the "ligne des Gibet". He lift the Dragonwets curse and enter in the Dragon Pass.

In the dragon Pass, Colimar and his kin are harass by many attack of Broo, many kin become sick. Colimar search a good spot to establish his clan and invoke a protector guardian. After many relentless Broo attack, Colimar and his kin had use all there magic, many was wounded and sick… After a long march Ilgalad, the Lhankor Mhy of Colimar, spot the place he saw in divination. Colimar establish a security perimeter and began a great ritual of invocation. One of the greater wind on the mountain respond ( the visual effect was to great… all our players had been very amaze… a 8 feet tall spirit monster with a huge smoke effect…) He give to Colimar a series of mission to accept to protect the future clan. 1) an oath of silence 2) To contact the other héothling in the Dragon Pass and unite them under his banner. 3) Clean the region of the Broo infection.

An Humakti Kin detect an old ruin consecrated to Humakt, he sent undead corruption to! Colimar, go to this direction, he find a ruin full of undead, Colimar lead an attack an destroy the undead. For his courage, Colimar gain Humakt favor, the Humakti Kin Prepare the ritual of truth, and silence. The ritual reveal a traitor infiltrated in the Colimar Kin… A spy, working for Belintor the stranger. After discution, Colimar accept to forgive and adopt the spy.

The scout of Colimar spot the presence or other living form in the Dragon Pass, They spot a group of fleeing noble Esrolian priestess. She carries a very dark and dangerous secret; they are tracked since Esrolia by a band of elite mercenary working for Ezenkeko. In Esrolia, This Queen was a moderately hostile to the dark power of Ezenkeko, in his moderate activity of resistance, she accidentally find a very important secret of the Troll Semi god . They are forced to exile themselves, been tracked like animals, she enter to the Dragon Pass to survive. She ask to Colimar to protect her against the mercenaries of Ezenkeko. Finaly, the élites mercenary of Ezenkeko die before Colimar do anything, a gang of Broo find em and contaminate them with a powerful chaotic deasease… they rot in the wood…without been notice by anyone… without combat against Colimar… ( sometime LARP scenario badly fail!)

Colimar send scout to find other Héorthling clan in the Dragon Pass, regroup then all under his banner. He commands all the Héorthling to clean the presence of all Broo in the region. For the rest of the day, we organize a "take the flag" game between the Broo and the Orlanthi for the control of the strategic points of the dragon Pass.

At the end of this scenario, the protector guardian accept to protect Colimar and his kin, he invest the Black spear.

Senario 3: Saturday evening

Formation of the clan ring

In this scenario, we try to create a political scenario with many intrigues and discussions about Glorantha and his subtlety. We also want to create an ambiance of incertitude about the good and the evil, in regular LARP, good and evil are cut with a knife, in Glorantha, good and evil is a question of interpretation, there is many grey zones.

 In this scenario, Colimar must be elected as chef of the clan, form his clan ring and name his champion. The old sage Ilgalad The Lhankor Mhy tell to the Kin the tradition of Héoth and the law in detail… Colimar had been elected without problem. After, the election, a series of duel determine the first champion of the clan, After, Colimar began to determine the political positions in his ring… after many hour of discussion, ( our player act as typical Orlanthi), nothing was determinate… The barrel of Beer opened for the feast didn't help… Many challenges… boastful Orlanthi… duel… debate… but nothing.

During the evening, other sub scenario disturb the process. A warrior contaminated by Chaos ad been detected by… an Uroxi, his head explode before the priestess of Chalana Arroy can do anything…

Fleeing peasants spot some curious Dragonwets near in the Tula, they bring panic in the clan… Colimar sent his warrior, but… they find nothing.

When Colimar finally form his clan ring, A delegation of Kitori come to see the clan Ring of the new Colimar clan. They ask for an exaggerated tribute in exchange of the protections of the Kitori. Colimar refuse there first offer. Later, the Kitori diplomats come again with a bunch of degenerated warriors and there champion. They offer a different proposition, Colimar accept the new proposition, but The Kitori want him performing a dark Oath of the Kitori degenerated version of "Humakt the dark" The ritual was so dark and weird that Colimar refuse… the Kitori offer to challenge the champion of Colimar, in a Humakti Duel… he accept… The Kitori version of Humakti Duel is very savage… the Kitori champion instantly charge the champion of Colimar surprising everyone. He break the bones of the Colimar Champion with his great axe, other warrior of the Colimar clan, attack instinctively the Kitori berserker… they kill him… breaking an Humakti duel…

The Esrolian Queen offer to Colimar her Dark secret of Ezenkeko. Only the sage Lhankor Mhy can read the magics runes inscribed on the fragment. When he study the dark secret, the Lhankor Mhy understands the importance of this secret, it's the plan of a breach in the invulnerable fortress of Ezenkeko. When he learns this terrible secret, Colinar call his clan ring in the Chef hall for a urgent Meeting. They debate during an hour and decide to send a emissary to Belintor the stranger and Ezenkeko to take the best deal…

Our LARP end Sunday Morning, we organize a meeting with our players to take there critics and commentaries. Everyone was very amaze by our game system and the world of Glorantha, they make good criticism and our rules will be much more solid with news modifications. Everyone promise to come back to our next play test the 7-8-9 Jully and to our regular season.

As you can read, we take little freedom in the interpretation of the Glorantian historical events, we create some new intrigues, as the Ezenkeko's dark secret of the Esrolian Queen, or new cults as Humakt the Dark. We try to create credible things in the world of Glorantha with the information we have.

Our website will be ready very soon, we recruit one of the best webdesigner of the Québec, it will be very nice.

The next Play test ( 7-8-9 July) , we will invite 70-80 players to test all our rules related to the political groups, communities, clan, tribes, the collective magic, the rituals, geopolitical system, trading system, and Hero-questing.

The base setting of the senario is the first wave of refugees fleeing the civil war in the south, challenging the powerful Colimar clan in the virgin Dragon Pass. We will end our scenario on a tragic disappear of Colimar and the creation of the Colimar tribe. Everything will be ready for a great beginning of our regular season in September! In Québec, September is the beginning of the cold time, the tree's leafs becomes multicolor, it is very beutifull.

P.s.: sorry for the mistakes in the text.

Pierre-André Champoux