Re: Extremely Limited Editions

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:02:24 GMT

In message <007701c68f93$e5e51d40$0200a8c0_at_andre1> "Osentalka" writes:

>>I think Peter has a very good point. It is bad enough not being
>>able to make the con, without finding out afterwards that this
>>also excludes you from being able to purchase two products. One
>>of which appeared in such stupidly small numbers that we couldn't
>>have afforded it anyway. Not all Gloranthaphiles are rich, and
>>some of us have to schedule purchases when we can afford them, not
>>when Greg decides to stick the only copy on e-bay.
>
>I also like the Mona Lisa, but DaVinci has made only one, and i
>can=B4t affort it... so what?

However you can buy a print which is a fair substitute or a picture postcard if you haven't room for a full size print.

>These Second Age information will be available a) in the RQ
>Glorantha books in revised/rephrased form, b) in a Work in Progress
>as soon as Greg and Rick know what was user in RQ Glorantha, and
>what wasn=B4t.

This is the key issue, there's just so much about Glorantha that has been published in obscure publications, is promised to be released more widely and then disappears for years until someone claims it's been superceeded. To me it is a minor irritation as most of the stuff seems to be obscure details which can be great fun but little gaming use. However it's the main source of the commonest complaint about Glorantha - that there's a elite group of people with inside information and an ordinary GM has no chance of getting it right. Now I realise that "getting it right" doesn't really matter but getting that over to people new to Glorantha is very hard.

>>So, I'm with Peter here. Lets see an end to this elitism. At the
>>moment we're getting vague promises to make most of the material
>>available, in some form, eventually, next year. Instead, how about
>>a clear commitment to make everything available as soon as possible,
>>starting with the books that are already bloody collated and typeset?
>
>I understand your frustration, but for me it is far more important
>that informations/notes are available to everyone, so that future
>authors can start to work on ideas, articles and books, without
>being gregged by manuscripts in Gregs files that they never had a
>chance to canonise with.

Another aspect of the same problem with the same solution. I'm all for Con fundraisers which publish things in advance and do special limited editions but there needs to be a clear timescale for making the content available widely. Even if that's a downloadable pdf - "Con. Books 2006" available during 2007.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/