Re: Re: Thunder Rebels

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:36:39 -0800

> There's been some discussion about possible bias. Graeme thought the
> perceived imbalances would disappear once we have Storm Tribe. I think
that
> will be the case.

I apologize in advance to those that I'm about to piss-off royally, but here goes anyway. I am writing this *not* as one of the authors, or in any connection to Issaries, but as a private net-citizen.

<rant>

Some of it will (yes, we'll have butt-kicking women), but there will *always* be a "gender imbalance" in the portrayal of Heortling society. Female fighting cults will never be as predominant as the male ones. Females will probably tend to be portrayed as healers, mothers, and leaders, rather than fighters or hunters. Women wanting to be fighters will be seen as "different" and "odd" - kind of like the way female fire fighters or female combat soldiers are in the US at this time. That is because that is the way Heortling society *is*. I hear little about "I want to play a male weaver". It seems to be okay in people's minds for there to be cults that are female-only, but not male-only. This may be a product of 20th century -isms spilling over into a game world. (okay to have Black/Chicano/Asian clubs, but not White, okay to have women's night, but not men's, etc). No I'm not a redneck, just pointing out that the "percieved majority" (which isn't anymore) can't get away with having exclusiveness in Late 20th century/Early 21st century America because it's "not fair" to the excluded group.

It seemed to me that the comments about not having "viable female characters" was specifically addressing "no female fighters" as if fighting is the be-all end-all of the game. Whether that is what was meant or not, that is what came across to me. "We can't play a female warrior, so there's nothing for us to do. Healing is a subordinant role. We don't want to be peacemakers, we want to KICK ASS. That is the only way that we can be fulfilled." - and this from a male.
I have yet to hear any women join the debate about "gender bias" and how *they* feel about it. Until I do, this whole damn "Women are portrayed in a lesser light/Women have nothing to do" argument is moot.

</rant>

Roderick
Writing on my own behalf, not that of Issaries Inc.