Re: Who else is a Newbie? And other thoughts...

From: Pierre-André Champoux <pa_champoux_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:58:35 -0000

Hi André, Cj and everybody

I work actively to transform these Larper fan to a true Glorantha fan eventualy Hero War fan. Here in Québec, Hero Wars in not well known, but RQ had been very popular in the 80'ts. Some reasons can explane this. Here in Québec, when the RPG fan had to chose between D&D or RQ, they choose RQ... The french translation of RQ was excellent, a great quality and the books are very beautifuls. But The french version of HeroWars in not as beautiful. In fact, there is only 3or 4 french books of HeroWars... since HeroQuest, Issarie did not translate any book in french so... the Québécois RPGfan Known very well, Glorantha and RQ ( most of our players play already play a lot to RQ) but they did not know that HeroWars exist! They think that Glorantha die with RQ. Furthermore, Issarie is very badly distributed in Québec... In all boutiques in Montreal, only one have Herowars Books ( only one copie, and hidden between a ton of d&d stuf). I think that the distribution problem is more important than the translation problem to explane the commercial failure of Herowars in Quebec ( most of the Québécois are bilingual) When we want to convince a new Larpist, we did not talk about Héro wars... we talk about RQ... they know and like it.

For the French Aspect of our game... we will surely tranlate our books in english this years or the next years, there is some anglo Larp fan in Québec... and... we craft our Game system with the main idea to make a kind of GURPS for LARP, an universal system! Futhermore, i make a resume of our first playtest this week in english. you can find it in the archive of this forum. The french discission list in not very active so i prefere the english one for now... here that rock...controversial messages... polemic... insults... and more...i like it... ;-)

I did not write on this forum to recrut some players for my Larp... i did not expect that anybody will cross the Atlantic sea to play to our LARP ( if you do... it will be an honnor, you will be treat like a King...) It just that i think that an Herowars Larp is an event of interest for all Gloranthian Fan... so i want to share my pleasure to see Glorantha for real "with my eyes". You can be amaze by our senario, pictures and more... staying on your side of the Atlantic...

Pierre-André champoux