Re: "Historical" question for Greg.

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:47:50 -0000

YGWV
Dear Friends,

RangerFlecha asks for historical reflection on his comments:

> I explained what I've read here and there; that by the
> time when Gygax and Arneson put out D&D, Greg wanted to create a much
> more narrative system for Glorantha. Circumstances made that the first
> rpg in Glorantha were RQ, but Greg still wanted to make a more
> narrative system one day. That happened in 2000 with the release of
> Hero wars, and 2003 with HeroQuest.
> I'd like
> to ask you, Greg, to confirm (a simple yes or no would suffice) is
> this historical "facts" are correct; if you had in mind a game like HQ
> before RQ was born. Just for the peace of my mind! ;) Thanks!

I had always wanted a game that would allow me to express my mythological leanings in as accurate a manner as possible. Before there were any RPGs, then the boardgame WB&RM (and the unpublished but planned MoLaD) was the best method. When I played D&D I saw the seed of wha I wanted, but knew it would not flower in that ground. RQ was fetile, however. Nonetheless, after a couple of years of play I yearned for more, as my constant striving to creat HQ showed.
I believe that the current HeroQuest is an excellent vehicle for expressing the mythological motifs, especially with its social underpinnings.
I know that not everyone strives for this, of course, which is why I am glad to see a new RQ out as well!

--Greg Stafford