Re: Esrolia

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:37:11 -0000

That is a good point, Esrolians speak Esrolian - not English.

Esrolians probably have a fine vocabulary for distinguishing between different family relationships. We could convey the gist of this by using the less formal Granny for a biological grandmother and Grandmother for a matriarch.

Personally I like the idea that they use family relationship terms at all times instead of the more impersonal "you", "he" etc. A bit like some terrestrial languages - Indonesian being my personal experience of this. So when talking to an influential woman you would refer to her as "mother" and a junior soldier in your regiment you might call "little brother". Just to confuse things (and outsiders) the proper form of address for a queen might be "Grandmother" but any Esrolian would know that this was just being used as an honorific rather than literally.

--
Nic