Re: Esrolia

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:50:55 GMT

In message <p06230938c0bc07bb0e6e_at_[192.168.1.101]> David Cake writes:

> Its just that the Esrolians are concerned enough with
>honouring matrilineal genealogy that I'm sure they really care about
>their grandmothers as well as their Grandmothers, so I can't see it
>being real Esrolian practice to use the two terms interchangably,
>either. Perhaps some similar but distinguishable term like
>Greatmother or Godmother.

I'm sure the Esrolian language has different words but we're translating into English. Godmother also has a specific meaning which fits with the concept even less well than Grandmother. If we want to invent a title how about "Queen Asrelia" to distinguish from the Goddess herself.

> I still think Matriarch is perhaps the best word, but it may
>not be the way you address one. Ie Matriarch might be the title,
>but Grandmother (or similar) the term of address (much as with
>Bishop/Your Grace, Queen/Your Majesty).

That's consistant with the Heortling address to Asrelia/Ty Kora Tek worshippers who most, if not all, these women will be. Matriarch could also be the formal title, rarely used in normal speech.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/