Re: Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:37:31 -0400

Namaste.

Speaking of real life Matriarchal customs: My former Guru was an elderly woman and a devotee of the Mother Goddess, and she preferred to be called
"Deeda" (Bengali for Grandmother) by most of her students. For those closer
to her age, "Maa" (Mother) would suffice. I'd use the exact same terms for my real mother or grandmother. Or as way to address the Goddess in any of her multidinous mythological forms.

 In fact, it is considered polite to address any woman you encounter using one of these two terms, or even "Sister" or "Daughter" depending on your age, and the age of the lady involved.
Using the words we would use for members of your family for those outside of it is considered a great honor. (Of course, one could mean it sarcastically, or even use the terms as a threat of some kind. Intonation and attitude are everything.)

--
-Santo

"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."