Re: Heortlings analogues

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:51:37 +0000 (GMT)

>>I think "landlocked Vikings" is Greg's phrase; it was one we used in coming up with that art direction.<<

 I have always seen the Orlanthi as being the 'barbarian' peoples identified by classical civilization in the late iron age and early dark ages: Gaul, Germania, Brittania, etc. As diverse as those people were, so as diverse are the Orlanthi of Maniria, Peloria, and Ralios. As alike as these people are so are the Orlanthi of Maniria, Peloria, and Ralios. So Tacitus and Ceaser are good sources for these 'barbarians' if biased. Because things changed once at a far lesser pace than they do now, the lives of these people were likely not dissimilar to their descendants for whom we have other sources, perhaps more accessible to reveal how such people lived day-to-day lives. Would a feud among the Suevi be so different from one among the Icelanders. Are Beowulf or Volsunga saga less likely to be good sources of inspiration because their dates are later. And while the Saxons, and the Vikings being some of the most referred to because of their accessability and familiarity we should  not entirely discount what we can learn from Scottish Highlanders or Franks either.

So don't limit your sources, but recognize the likely diversity of the term Orlanthi is as great as the term 'barbarian'

This is an entertaining summary of these kind of sources, aimed I suspect at the gamer.

http://www.wizardrealm.com/barbarians/history.html

Ian Cooper