Re: Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:26:59 +0100 (BST)

I've missed most of that (must catch up on back messages) but....

> I am curious about how many people on this list
> actually use the word
> Grandmother to refer to the mother of their father
> or mother.

Not me. "Gran" for the better liked, "grandma" for the other. My husband refered to "Gran" and "Nain" (having Welsh ancestry). Niece and nephew refer to "gran".

> I've onl ever seen it used, as such, in movies where
> the family is
> very formal with each other, with kids even calling
> their parents Mother and Father.

As a term of address or a title I'd agree, but I use it as a means of indicating a relationship: "My maternal grandmother..."

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html