Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:36:39 -0000

I only use 'grandmother' and 'grandfather' in descriptive terms, not as a title. So if the doctor asks if anyone in my family had type 2 diabetes, I'll say "Yes, one grandmother and one grandfather." In a conversation with a mix of family and non-family, I might even say something like "I remember that Grandma Thexton--that is my grandmother on my dad's side--used to say that...."

Likewise, I addressed my parents as mom and dad, but will say "My mother loves gardening."

One is a title, one is descriptive, in my usage.

--Bryan