Re: Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: Madeleine Eid <eid_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:19:59 +0100

  Re: Grandmother v granmother
> Posted by: "Greg Stafford" Greg_at_... glorantha1
> Date: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:43 am (PDT)
>

>This trying to change the title Grandmother is pretty interesting.
>
>I am curious about how many people on this list actually use the word
>Grandmother to refer to the mother of their father or mother.
>
>I've onl ever seen it used, as such, in movies where the family is
>very formal with each other, with kids even calling their parents
>Mother and Father.

>Sincerely,
>Greg Stafford
>
>Issaries, Inc.
>c/o Greg Stafford
>1942 Shattuck AVe, #204
>Berkeley, CA 94704 USA

My maternal grandmother (who I don't remember as she died when I was about 2) was Nana, and my other grandmother was Grandmere. My nieces and nephew call my mother Nana and their other grandmother Mam.

To be honest with you, I rarely called my grandparents anything as they were mostly dead before I reached an age of reason. Only my paternal grandmother survived until recently but after my parents split up we never saw or heard from her. I never knew my maternal grandfather (he died when my mother was 8) and only have the haziest of memories of Grandpere - and I may be confusing that memory of one of my paternal great uncles who was in a similar situation (more or less bedridden) at the time.

TTFN Maddy