Re: Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 09:14:42 -0700

YGWV Quoting Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>:

> I'm going to take this Grandmother debate on a tangent, not sure if
> anyone wants to follow it but I am sure it is better suited to the
> Glorantha Mailing List so I will post it there.

> Because I am shifting the emphasis of the Grandmother V grandmother
> debate I am posting here.

I?ve brought it back to this list because this is where it now belongs.

> My main concern is the way that nearly all portrayals of Matriarchal
> society in popular culture are spurious at best and often ridiculous.
>
> I would dismiss any argument that seeks to put a mirror up to
> patriarchal society as, at best, satire.

Great insight Jamie. The skewed perspecives bring about such silly things as the effeminate males of the kingdom, etc.

> Questions that need answers before we can truly judge:
>
> 1) How did Esrolia become a Matriarchy in the first place?

I think this is clearly stated in the legends. The males had largely killed each other, the women wanted/needed away to rule themselves, and they formed the Dark Age society.

> 2) What does a typical family group look like?

I think this has been stated pretty clearly: a matrilineal descent. Men move to their wife?s household, most property belongs to the womens? families, most social decision-making is done by women.

> 3) How are family concepts extended into the wider culture?

I think this has been aswered too. The family itself has been extended, with the councils being made up of family rulers who meet to setle the non-amily matters.

> 4) How does this culture influence the government?

It IS the government.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.